Monday, May 16, 2011

How To: Turn placemats into a rug!

Pin It


all crafts Tip Junkie Blog Buttons ~ Do You Have One?Oh yeah, you read that right.  We're talking about turning table placemats into a rug.  Stay with me....


I've been having a really hard time with my own master bath mini revamp.  I added some new items over the last month or 2, but nothing seemed to be working for me.  Not even the super cute daffodil shower curtain or yellow rug from Urban Outfitters were doing it.  So anyway, I went looking for a new shower curtain, and I was lucky enough to find one I think I'm going to really like.  It carries my current favorite "not quite tiffany blue" color and I'm really excited to work with it.  


First things first, I knew that my current round orange rugs were not going to work in the space anymore (I moved the yellow rug to our basement bath, featured here).  First problem--rugs are expensive!  And since I'd already spent money on my first failed attempt, I have to get pretty crafty here.  


I bought these really cool felt placemats from TJ Maxx this time last year and haven't been able to figure out what to do with them.  They've since taken up under my bed--weird, right?  But as I was walking by tonight I noticed them and figured I might be able to repurpose them to make a rug.  Or hang them on the wall.  Either way, I was going to use them.


I decided on the rug, and this is how I did it:


Supplies:
3 rectangular felt placemats
Ribbon
Hot Glue
Scissors


Step 1:  Cut and Glue.   Place your mats side by side.  Add hot glue to connect edges and secure by adding small pieces of ribbon.  Continue until all edges are connected and secured.  Flip over!















Step 2:  Rock it! No really, that's it.  You're done.  Place your rug where you see fit and smile.  You made a rug.  Out of placemats.  Mmmm Hmmmm.


Thanks so much for stopping by!!!!


Big (Placemat) Smile,
B.Chen




15 comments:

Lisa said... Best Blogger Tips

What a cool idea! I love this! Looks great and very unique : )

Debbie @ OtRD said... Best Blogger Tips

What a great idea, it turned out great. Also I love-love-love your new shower curtain!!

aggieam01 said... Best Blogger Tips

Ok, so this is brilliant. I am having the same problem in my bathroom...not finding what I am wanting and then when I like something...it is ridiculously expensive!! This looks gorgeous!

Peter George said... Best Blogger Tips

We have the same shower curtain! I love it it when you can use everyday items for a completely different purpose! Very creative idea.

Leanne said... Best Blogger Tips

How Cool! What a great idea! Thanks for linking to Home Decor and Organizing Link Party.

nicolette {momnivores dilemma} said... Best Blogger Tips

Now that thinking outside the creative box. Placemats on the floor. Love. Pinning you so I don't forget this!


If you have a moment today, please share this with my readers @Creative Juice Thursday Hope to see yours among all the amazing projects!

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Love those placemats! Glad you used them, they look cute! THanks for linking up with DIY under $5!

chris said... Best Blogger Tips

What a great idea! I love that you came up with a novel use for those placemats.

Stephanie McDonnell said... Best Blogger Tips

Awesome. What a wonderful idea. Feel free to linl up, there is still time.

www.luxeboulevard.blogspot.com

Kitty Deschanel said... Best Blogger Tips

What a smart idea! I'm always coming across placemats that I love but don't have a use for. Now I can buy them :)

Andrea said... Best Blogger Tips

We are re-doing our bathroom in those exact colors! Love this idea!

Stacy CUrran said... Best Blogger Tips

Found you through Gracious Spaces...love the idea! New follower :)
Stacy

Catie @ Catie's Corner said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi There, What a great idea! Thanks for sharing. I'm gonna by on the look out for cool placemats at the Dollar Store now. : ) ~ Catie

http://catiescorner2.blogspot.com

Make handmade said... Best Blogger Tips

Love it, thanks for sharing.

Editor said... Best Blogger Tips

Clever idea

Post a CommentBest Blogger Tips